Congresos, conferencias, espectáculos, ...
#170827 por Cristóbal
06 Jul 2015, 11:42
Ya arranca el mundial, y la representación española (tanto de concursantes como de actuantes) es bastante impresionante.

¡Desde aquí les deseamos suerte a todos!

Y si tenéis noticias de última hora compartidla por aquí, que en Facebook se me pierden :D
#170829 por Brignon
06 Jul 2015, 11:59
Fotos, videos, comentarios y más comentarios...!!!! No escatimeis en esas cosas, los que nos quedamos en tierra os lo agradeceremos! ;)

PD: soy yo o parece que este año, al menos lo que son las instalaciones, da la impresión de que lo tienen mejor montado que en el Blackpool?
#170842 por Brignon
07 Jul 2015, 13:30
Comentarios (como de costumbre en estos eventos, la gente se vuelve algo "acidilla", a ver si van saliendo más opiniones para poder tner una idea algo menos subjetiva...) acerca del primer día, primer concurso de escena y gala de apertura:
(Fuente: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 2&forum=31)

FISM Day 1

It’s day 1 of the World Championships of Magic … and lesson to be learned – always read the program. It seems Silvan had some inside info. on what we should expect. He writes in his welcome:

“We have the conviction and belief that perfection does not exist! … We apologize for the imperfections …”

That’s a novel introduction – let’s apologise from the start after promising the ‘best FISM ever’. He may want to take up mentalism as it is going to prove somewhat prophetic.

The “official opening” scheduled for 8:15 am mysteriously disappears … and some 45 minutes later we have yet to begin because we are still frantically plugging in jury lights and lamps. Really ? Opening contest delayed because no one bothered to setup the jury table table the day before ? These aren’t imperfections – they are just inexcusable for an event which is the World Championships of Magic. Punctuality isn’t optional. It’s a pre-requisite … and yes, we are all aware that some take a somewhat laissez-faire approach to these matters - even more of a reason for it to be right the first time. Gay Ljunberg & his crew have been killing themselves backstage – the performers are on edge and they don’t deserve such unnecessary delays and added stress.

FISM is also lacking the much needed skills of the ‘fixer-of-all-problems’ Frank Wilson … and his ever popular strain of ‘magic all over the word’ ;-) If anyone can keep a waiting crowd happy – it’s Frank Wilson!

Eventually the lamps get power – the judges are in position – and the World Championships of Magic 2015 is underway !

Mag Edgar – Spain – Stage Illusions
Hansel & Gretel stage set with a homemade cardboard costume of a walking tree ( Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy anyone ? ). A headless man has his head re-attached & a beautiful glass elevator illusion sees the magician vanish quite literally upwards. In the end we descend into something more closely resembling childrens pantomime – with assistants visible entering and exiting the ‘hidden flaps’ of the stage set, a sword box using garden instruments – and “levitation attached to back wall” Unfortunately it’s not considered floating when you are mere centimetres from the wall of your stage set …

Francesco Addeo – Italy – Mentalism
A “psychokinetic touches” / sympathetic responses routine … a lacklustre ending and please don’t clap for yourself when finished performing.

Deklan – Argentina – Manipulation
A young performer with champagne bucket, fire wallet, appearing glasses, fan of bills – and cards switching to card box, and card box back to cards. Add in some manipulation, color changing cards and compulsory card fountain. Deklan unfortunately lacks stage personality – and with the manipulation category so over run with genius technicians from the East … you need something special to stand out.

Niek Takes – Netherlands – General Magic
A jester character juggling ping pongs from his hat. Awkward card manipulation with skeleton cards – dramatic music – and me thinking ‘how very strange’ … Thankfully nice and short.

Lee Chang Min – Korea - Manipulation
Butterfly from tree, slow beautiful vanishes, holographic cards, with rain sound effects and cards forming a rainbow before our eyes. Visual eye candy with a slow dissolve of a card ‘into’ his shirt. A magician pleaser!

A quick interlude at this point. The stage set is phenomenal Giant LED screens are projecting custom graphic backdrops for each of the acts … it looks fantastic.

Cyril Delaire – France – General Magic

Bird to ceiling, bird duplication, bird from glass, salt to bird, bird cage production, cane to confetti to … wait for it … another bird, another cage production, more bird cages … and yes, more birds. Magicians REALLY need to wake up that it just isn’t socially acceptable to be stuffing wild life into tiny little pockets for your enjoyment. But more on that later.

Ran Gafner – Israel – Mentalism

Painful generic mentalism. Music influences us. Choose a color. This bell matches the color. Guess the color of the bell. Switch the bells around. Choose four books with a song from a movie. Performers – why on earth should we possibly care ? It’s contrived, it’s gimmicky and so insincere. And if you using volunteers – please don’t leave your 4 volunteers stranded on stage at the end.

Dakris – Spain – General Magic

Cane & top hat with single card manipulation and Fantasio vanishing candle ( do they still make those ? ) Zombie hat stand and silk in lightbulb. We just a needed a snow storm to round out our list of ‘fism favourites’ ;-)

Javier Luxor – Spain – Mentalism

Painful generic mentalist take 2. Choose a celebrity from this specially selected array of magazines. Choose a city from this stack of postcards I happen to have. Write down your random piece of information on my specially prepared notepad. Are lay audiences seriously buying this in 2015 ? And to end “I hope you like it. I enjoyed it a lot”

Benny Li – Hong Kong – General Magic

Torn and restored letter with card manipulation – some beautiful cascades – and animated restoration. Some visual eye candy to keep the magicians happy ;-)

Disguido – Italy – Comedy Magic

Last time I checked this was a magic contest … a non-funny act subjecting us to ridiculous chapeaugraphy with a loose cinema theme.

Sami Matoshi – Mentalism – Albania

Unfortunately the mindreaders in the audience already predicted that Albania and mentalism was probably not going to be a good match for today … Our first red light. Relying on a translator for something as ‘nuanced’ as mentalism is very tricky … made all the worse when your predictions are off from the outset.

Ernesto Planas – Italy – General Magic
A ballroom dancing Casanova with diamond broach, earrings and bejewelled fingers ( it reminded me of liberace doing the tango ) Umbrellas, umbrellas, and more umbrellas. Did I mention there were umbrellas ? A grown man producing lots of pretty parasols … different.

Anca & Lucca – Austria – Mentalism
Anca & Lucca started their act before the contest even started by taking an ad out in the official program announcing they would pay anyone 1 million Euros if they could prove that anything they did was accomplished using electronics or the like. Now that’s self promotion ;-)

This second sight act had a playful edge with Anca demonstrating to Lucca that her talents are in fact ‘real mindreading’ and effectively discounting the methods magicians may believe them to be using. Whilst her revelations were all spot on – the act seemed to lose some of its ‘punch’ that I would have expected it to have.

Kim Young Ju – Korea – Comedy Magic
Cigar boxes, appearing boxes, juggling antics, applause signs and more.

Collin – Germany – Mentalism
Mentalism is proving to be popular. And this time I get to be on stage for the ping pong fun. Who would I have thought I would get to demonstrate my sporting prowess in front of 2000+ magicians ;-) But I digress. Ping pong lottery balls are handed out to the front first rows – who are to then pelt the stage with them whilst trying to get them into the ‘lotto ball machine’ to determine the random lotto numbers. My job is to hit the errant balls back into the audience. Wimbledon here I come. Needless to say Mr Mentalist got the prediction spot on. An entertaining act … that certainly came across as very fair and clean.

Bruno Tarnecci – Peru – General Magic
A ‘Yann-Frisch’ type character who stood on a chair and leaped from book to book scattered across the floor ala stepping stones. Zero idea as to what took place as everything happened on the floor. Note to performer – we can’t see the magic if you do it on the floor in the cavernous theatre. Just a thought.

Kento Mukai – Japan – Manipulation
A techno anime pop soundtrack ( I think I just created a new genre) with flip paddle moves, clock inspired motif and cardboard cogs to pocket watch. Strange and different.

Dorian Grey – France – General Magic
Picture a Santa Fe ‘Wild West’ saloon and someone looking like one of the 3 Amigos doing dove magic. After losing a bird or two to the ceiling & coming close to incinerating another – the judges red lit the act for the inhumane treatment of animals. Give up the doves people! It’s cruel and inhumane.

19 acts down and the marathon first stage session comes to an end. Certainly no show stoppers … the search continues for our next World Champion.

Hurry back now … the Opening Gala Show starts in just 20 minutes. Or so we thought.

FISM Stage Gala show

It’s 20 minutes to show time and its déjà vu. We’re nowhere near ready. Crews are hanging lights, frantically testing CGI and multiple conflicting announcements are being made as to who must sit where …

All the production value in the world cannot compensate for lack of preparation – and I hate to say it, but despite their best intentions they are in under their heads. 2 pm comes and goes. 2:30 pm comes and goes and still we sit and wait.

This isn’t a mickey mouse production with limited resource but a MEGA BUDGET event that is most certainly not resource constrained.

You can have all the flash you want but nothing excuses a gala show starting 60 minutes late. The audience is upset and their tensions are only going to worsen.

Between the slow claps and whistles – the show eventually gets underway to an intergalactic space backdrop and dramatic Carmina-Burana piece. Video footage of the FISM timeline appears on the jumbo screens along with a somewhat poorly timed video ( under the present circumstances ) of the Masters of Magic folk again promising the ‘best FISM ever’

Walter Rolfo appears centre stage with pulsating music and pumping air cannons – welcoming us to the now severely delayed show …

Society presidents are introduced ( the average age is worrying ! ) and poor Domenico Dante, FISM President, commences his speech. It is now 3:30 pm … the audience have been waiting for 90 minutes and still no magic.

Domenico is in a no win situation and attempts to convey his somewhat lengthy speech in all official languages. The crowds jeer. They boo … and we even have one dear soul walk on stage from the audience to attempt to convince Domenico to call it quits. To no avail. Security bounds across the stage after our ‘intruder’ whilst Walter Rolfo even comes out himself to provide Domenico with a graceful exit … Domenico unfortunately chooses to persevere and endure the hostility.

Videos are online:

https://www.facebook.com/australianmagic......6400674/

https://www.facebook.com/australianmagic......4425674/

https://www.facebook.com/australianmagic......3595674/

We are now close to 100 minutes since the scheduled start time and STILL no magic.

First act to kick off in very difficult circumstances is local legend Silvan.

Unfortunately legends need to learn when to bow out gracefully. There is something inherently wrong with an 80 year old man with dyed hair surrounding himself with scantily clad young women taken out of a starring role in “50 Shades of Grey” ( or was that “Eyes Wide Shut”) along with moustached assistants in 1970’s sequin waist coats. Boogie nights meets FISM. He can so easily be seen to be coming across as lecherous. And the sub-par manipulation flashed in ultra HD glory on the jumbo screens does nothing to preserve the memory.

In kicking contrast we end the display to the jarring sounds of Avicii.

By all means honour past masters – but lets not become blind to the realities. Just because they can physically do their act from 50 years ago – does not mean it is a good idea for them to do so. Obligatory standing ovation follows.

I shudder to think what a TV viewer at home would think. But I digress …

Max Maven joins forces with Luis de Matos for a great piece of light hearted fun that was just right for the show and circumstances. Max is a consummate pro.

Finn Jon follows – and whilst he unfortunately is missing his harem – he treats us to a thumb tip silk vanish and floating smoke filled bubbles. Yes – it is a classic act. Yes – he is one of the past masters. But again – lets preserve the memory of our legends and let them be. Honour them by all means – but I honestly believe we can find another way of doing it rather making them redo their acts from 40 years ago with not always ideal results. Obligatory standing ovation follows.

Xavier Mortimer – star of the incredible MJ One show in Vegas – comes to Rimini with his classic FISM act that sees him interact with a digital shadow of himself and a 3 piece ‘projection’ band behind – ending with an impressive full 360 revolution / levitation. Xavier is a highly creative performer and always a joy to see his work.

In contrast to all the technology, Paul Daniels arrives on stage with nothing more than a chop cup, wit as sharp as ever – and cute kid from front row to act as evil nemesis. Paul brings the house down and would have loved to have seen him MC the show – and what else he would have brought to proceedings.

Our second to last performance is Magus Utopia ( aka Marcel Prince of Illusions ) and their FISM winning act along with a few new additions. Between the flame throwers, air cannons and other serious tech behind them– the act took on a whole new level of intensity but unfortunately the one production was exposed ( Marcel quite literally climbed out of the base in full view ) due to a misfiring pyro. Despite the misstep – the act is smooth and oh so polished … and straight out of something from Cirque du Soleil.

And to end the marathon show – is star of Broadways’ The Illusionists – Yu Ho Jin. What can be said about this masterful performer that has not already been written ? His performance is impactful. His moves graceful and his magic joyful. Bravo!

And so ends the FISM Opening Gala Show.

Opportunity for a break ? Not for the magic junkies ... the Close-up contest starts in less than an hour.

FISM is go, go, go …
#170846 por Brignon
07 Jul 2015, 18:43
'dita sea... Luz roja para Woody (con su rutina de los comodines) por pasarse de tiempo!!! :muro:
#170853 por Brignon
08 Jul 2015, 11:57
Directo del blog de Borja, repaso (esta vez en espanol y con algo menos de inquina ;) ) del primer día de concurso escena-cerca: http://www.dominalamagia.com/concursant ... 015-vol-1/

(A mayores también cuenta algo aquí en el primer día.... http://www.dominalamagia.com/dia-1-fism-2015-italia/ debería estar prohibido por la envidia sana que me está dando! :thx:

Mag edgar grandes ilusiones

Ha hecho un número en mi opinión genial. Era una escenografía como si fuera ambientada en un cuento. Con varios personajes y el como protagonista.

Ha hecho varias levitaciones con la ayudante bastante guays. Además una desaparición que no había visto hasta ahora después de levitar. Pero lo mejor sin duda el ascensor con aparición y desaparición. Enhorabuena Edgar.

Francesco Adeo – Mentalismo

Sacó a una espectadora y la hipnotizó. Empezó con pk touches y luego fue increscendo con sensaciones como sabores y al fina le hizo una señal para que se levantara y así lo hizo Acabó rompiendo un jarrón. Si no es compinche lo que salió….WOW!! Más claro imposible.

Deklan – manipulación

Moneditas de colores brillantes a un ritmo muy marcado de bajo.

Transposicion de baraja y cartas

Un interlace de producción alternando carta moneda. Eso mola.

No ha estado mal pero creo en mi opinión que le ha faltado algo de ritmo.

Niek takens – magia general

Número vestido de joker de baraja

Empieza con una manipulacion muy básica pero luego se hizo un mahka tendo. Very good. Me gusta mucho el juego con un ayudante que sale con la cara de trompeta. Si tenía una trompeta en la cara jaja.

Esto suele pasar que entras en magia general pero la mayoría del número es de manipulación.

Lee chang min – manipulacion

Ha realizado un buen número de Mariposas

Desaparicion lenta, transposiciones de carta. Desintegracion de cartas. Mariposas volando. Yo apuesto por premio

Vaya numerazo. La propuesta del surcoreano era un arbol detrás suyo y el vestido de verde. Todo como muy primaveral. Juega con las cartas como si fueran mariposas. Pero vaya manipulación. Me encanta que no sólo se le vea al mago aparecer y desaparecer cartas sino que estén dentro de una buena historia. No se que comen estos coreanos pero vaya efectazos de cartas.

Cyril delaire magia general

Numero de palomas periquitos y cacatúa.

Ha hecho un número de magia con palomas bien ejectuado. Le han fallado alguna paloma que se le ha ido al techo pero ha habido alguna aparición muy bonita como por ejemplo de una columna de humo de la que ha salido una jaula con un periquito.

Ran Gafner – mentalismo

Como la música puede influirmos? La propuesta va acerca de colores y sonidos.

Una espectadora decide dar unas campanas a varios espectadores al azar. Otro escogía una canción y al final la predicción fue correcta.

DAKRIS – magia general

Ha hecho su número del perchero. Ha cambiado bastantes cosas desde que le vi en España. Han fallado un par de cositas pero estar en el escenario del FISM ya es todo un mérito. Pase lo que pase enhorabuena por haber llegado hasta aquí.

Luxor -mentalismo

Nuestro mentalista concursante por excelencia. El acto trataba de una predicción bastante libre. Se pasó una libreta para fijarte en un pensamiento. Ese pensamiento coincidió entre varios espectadores. En este caso lo que coincidió fue un pais, una hora y un personaje famoso. EL número iba bastante bien. Quizás el problema fue un poco el idioma y nos dejó un poco desconcertados de como terminó el acto. Fue como muy repentino. Espero que no le fallara nada porque me estaba gustando.

Benny li – magia general

Número de una carta escrita rota y recompuesta. Ha tenido un par de detallitos muy buenos. Como la recomposición de la carta sin tocarla o un manchurrón de tinta que se transformaba en las letras de la propia carta.

Disguido- magia comica

Cine y magia.

Un número que mezclaba el sombrero de tabari con todas las películas del cine. Un buen buen repaso a todas jeje. Ha sido divertido ir siguiendo una tras otra todas las películas que iban proponiendo.

Sami matoshi – mentalismo

El problema del mentalismo es que si se hace una prediccion y no te sale no puedes dar marcha atrás. La primera no les salió, las siguientes fueron 2 países que si salieron. Un número muy complicado de entender ya que el mentalista saliócon una ayuda te que iba traduciendo el acto. Al final descalificado. No por tiempo. Sino por la presentación.

Ernesto Planas – magia general

Roduccion de sombrillas con ritmo sabrosón. Ha estado muy enérgico y se le veía que estaba disfrutando mientras lo hacía.

Anca y lucca

Nos han dejado Descolocados. No tenemos ni idea de como han podido hacer la lectura de mente tan precisa. Y antes nos han dado una hojita confirmando que no habría compinches.

Kim yong ju manipulación

Este número ya lo había visto en la anterior Fism ha cambiado alguna cosita. Es un acto de magia cómica mezclado con malabares. Es complicado poder meter mucha magia en cajas de de cigarros de malabares y eso es lo que hace grande un número así. Los efectos de duplicación de las cajas estuvieron genial.

Collin mentalismo

Predicción de lotería. Una manera muy divertida de sacar los números porque tenian que encestar en el rodillo de las bolas por lo tanto parece que la predicción es totalmente libre. Al final por supuesto salen todos los números de la predicción.

Bruno Tarnecci – magia general

Tenía ganas de ver este número. Es una cosa muy loca. Bruno encarna un librero loco muy maniático y al que le suceden muchas cosas con los libros. La verdad que en este caso el escenario le ha deslucido el número porque estaban sucediendo cosas al ras del suelo. Y eso desde donde estaba se perdió. Aun así un número muy interesante.

Kento mukai – manipulación

Un relojero jugando con las agujas del reloj. Transposiciones muy rápidas. Ha habido una cosa muy bonita. De dos agujas a un reloj lo ha soltado al aire y se lo ha puesto jaja eso ha molado.

Dorian Grey – magia general

Escenografía del viejo oeste. Magia con aves. Ha sido descalificado. Seguramente por las cargas de las aves grandes. Además que se la ha ido uno de los loros a la mitad y le ha deslucido completamente el acto. Una pena porqie la propuesta no estaba mal.

MAGIA DE CERCA

Jinie briginia

Matrix con monedas

Sinceramente creo que ha abusado de las cargas y las descargas.

Intiki terushita – parlour magic

Magia con dos billetes prestados y aparición debajo del salero y dentro de la foto.

David redondo

Monedas de tarjetas a reales

Wolfang moser

Vaya pedazo de rutinon. Sacaba bebidas al pedirselo el publico

Michael dardant

Muy buenas bromas para magos.

Daniel mormina

Caja okito transparente

Emil dragan

Una rutina de casino

Luis olmedo

Jokers y cambios de dorsos

Looking magic

Una rutina con un cubilete donde cambian de lugar continuamente incluso si tocale.
#170855 por Brignon
08 Jul 2015, 12:13
Comentarios acerca del segundo día del concurso de escena:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 2&forum=31

Full reports still to follow ... But just to Checkin ... A day of some superb magic - particularly in the closeup. Some very strong competitors towards the end.

p.s. Wittus Witt has some great photos of FISM 2015 as it unfolds - visit his website http://www.magischewelt-plus.de/Plus/FIS......ben.html

P.p.s stage gala show just ended. So much fun. FISM Italy has found its groove ... What a joy and if that is how they are ending Tuesday's show ( enough confetti glitter to sink a battleship ) I can't wait for the Sat finale !

Check out the FISM Facebook page for my live pics and videos ... Facebook.com/fismmagic

--------

It’s another beautiful day in Italy!

After yesterday’s delays, the organisers have pulled out the stops – and things are fast improving - and we kick off at 8:30 am - spot on time! Our sincere appreciation to the contest team who were rehearsing acts well into the early hours of Tuesday morning ...

Peter Din, his jury and crew are also doing a sterling job as they compute scores and get us closer to finding our next World Champion.

Back to the magic ...

STAGE CONTEST

Simon Thomas – Mentalism - Germany

An off beat and eccentric act with a mind reading microphone. The concept is comic gold … and such a great idea. Entertaining, weird and wacky. Just what we need to kick off Day 2!

Matteo Cucchi- Manipuation – Italy
A day at the races with manipulation of horseshoes, appearing bills and an umbrella vanishing in hat. Polished and slick.

Emi – General Magic – Argentina
Bubbles from a box ( I don’t know why either ), card manipulation in bubbles and the drawing of an object on a sketch pad coming to life.

Po Cheng Lai – Manipulation - Taiwan
High powered music, overly dramatic, with color changing fans, appearing fans, flying fans and lots of technical brilliance with fans – but the faux intensity is just a little too much. If I didn’t know better I would think that new life had just leapt from the brow of Zeus with all the grimacing and posturing.

Side note – our “Asian manipulation” acts ( sorry, Max ) are now all developing a terrible, generic sameness about them. Lee Eun Gyeol, Yu Ho Jin, An Ha Lim etc. are now responsible for developing a whole new genre in magic … with the followers now all fast becoming interchangeable. Technically brilliant but a simple commodity for any producer.

Eric Cheng – Manipulation – Hong Kong
Speaking of sameness – the acts are now starting to all get that standard ‘magic contest act’ look about them . Table centre stage. Props go there. Homemade mailbox here. Our contest acts are blurring … we need to breakout of this mould. Post cards and paper plane manipulation feature – but the overall look is all too familiar unfortunately.

Timon – Mentalism – Netherlands
Mentalism is clearly the new popular category. The performer is young, fresh and delivers a contemporary performance surrounding the theme of inattentive blindness. It’s quirky and different with color changing tshirt, shoes changing color and did you see the gorilla.

The Great Figueroa – Comedy – Spain
Too close to reality as most comedy magic acts tend to be. But I’ll give him his due – he quickly got the audience on his side – ending with ‘dove snowstorm’

Augusto Zanardi – Mentalism – Argentina
Do you have a prediction ? Yes – another mentalist. Confusing, painful, the most complicated date selection imaginable ending with a convoluted prediction of a newspaper headline.

Gerald le Guilloux – General Magic – France
The 80’s called and they want their music back. The haunting strains of Yanni, doves, canaries, dove cages, smoke bubbles to bird ( the new theme for Rimini ), chalk board to bird, more bird cages, bird cage from jacket ( no that is not magic when you take the cage out of your jacket ), an animated flip book to dove ( granted, this looked beautiful ) but then we end with the production of two dogs from foulard. Magicians must really enjoy animal abuse as leaving two dogs wrapped up in a dark foulard for ages in the name of entertainment is not for me.

Zaubertrixxer – Illusions – Germany
A FISM first. Magician vs footballer with a full on cheerleading squad and a bunch of illusions in between. The audience was more mesmerised by the blonde cheerleaders and their human pyramids.

Gustavo Vierini – Mentalism – Brazil
More mentalism ( I am starting to dislike the category immensely ) Predicted books match random words and front page covers, with missing pages ending up in discovered envelopes.

Ales Hrdlicka – General Magic – Czech Repulic
A white face clown. Billiard ball manipulation, juggling rings and ending with an artists dream.

Yu Ki – Manipulation – Japan
Dramatic manipulator ( we really do need to tone down the intensity ) Cardboard moon to billiard ball, origami star to silk, paper stars, confetti, color changing cards, ornament star productions and more.

Red Star Seong – General Magic – Korea
I don’t know what happy pill this performer is on – but it clearly is working. Lollipops, card fans, card fountains, pink panther music and a whole wave of energy.

Igor – Manipulation – Serbia
Lets do an act all about champagne bottles. Vanishing bottles, appearing bottles, Rimini smoke bubbles, appearing bottles, vanishing bottles … and magician default – jumbo bottle production. All so expected.

Yann Frisch – France – “Comedy Magic”
Isn’t bias wonderful. If any other FISM contestant decided to change categories and provide a list of technical demands that necessitate your own private setup time of 15+ minutes – they would laugh. If your name is Yann Frisch – everyone complies. Not exactly fair to the other competitors.

In addition, throughout the morning we are continually told that Yann Frisch would be performing having had his position moved from the previous day due to “technical difficulties” … so with all the free promo, along with his mug shot on the TV monitors for the longest out of any competitor, expectations were through the roof.

Did he deliver ? Depends where you are seated. The act was meant to be done in the close-up room – but the ‘lighting requirements’ saw it moved to stage in the bizarre category choice of comedy. The act is certainly not comedy.

It is a continuation of his FISM winning close-up act ( so I am advised ) – but unless you are front and centre – you see nothing ( said performer also was given the luxury of having the front screens turned off at his request ) I saw very little besides a brief levitation sequence of ball from cup – the epilepsy inducing flashes of light in his act didn’t help matters. I can also produce an elephant if you turn the lights off for extended period of time.

Oh well …

Skilldini – Comedy Magic – USA
Bearing a striking resemblance to a certain British convention organiser, the act was not funny at IBM SAM and certainly wasn’t funny at FISM. Painful to watch and sad indictment of the calibre of contest magic in North America.

On that subject – very sad to hear that SAM had to cancel their contests this year due to lack of entrants. It doesn’t bode well for the future!

Two more acts to go – but unfortunately technology strikes. The automated curtain system fails and the last two performers are held over until Wednesday.

With an on-time finish (!) – there’s just enough time to grab a bite to eat and rush on over to Round 2 of the Close-up Contest …

TBC
#170861 por Brignon
08 Jul 2015, 16:30
Vamos allá con los días 1 y 2 para el concurso de close-up!:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 6&forum=31

CLOSE-UP CONTEST - DAY ONE

If all the money was spent on stage – it's very clear that close-up is the poor cousin at FISM Italy.

There’s no sense of occasion. No excitement. No production value. If we want the World Championships of Magic to have prestige – we need to start treating it as such – and give the close-up artists the environment they deserve.

Joan Caesar is walking around without shoes … Obie is looking tired … and no one bothers to even close the backdrop curtain behind the performers.

The onscreen visuals are substandard for an event of this calibre with no one bothering to locate the white balance or exposure functionality on the cameras – as a result, cards are washed out, the top of the table is often out of view – and we have no one doing any qualified vision mixing. To add to the mix we have about 4 cameras on stage with everyone seemingly doing their own thing.

How is it possible that no one else has thought to check that we are able to see the playing cards on screen ? I sound like a broken record. But this is the World Championships of Magic. FISM deserves the best. First time – every time. Well intentioned volunteers are all very nice – but when the same people have been running the close-up contests the same way for years on end – this comes as no surprise. It’s time to innovate. The Close-up contest needs a technical and stage director just as much as the stage contest next door. The artists have spent years honing their acts – let’s give them the respect we deserve

On to the magic !

Semba – Parlor Invention - Argentina
Bizarre. Not quite sure exactly what the inventions were here … a card sword balloon and blowing up a balloon which turns out to be filled with helium ?

Mario Bove – Cards – Italy
Finding the aces, cards ending up in new deck order, long and laborious and wouldn’t it be nice if we could actually see the table. Exposure setting anyone ?

Side point – the venue setup is problematic if the judges - metres away - are ending up watching the screens themselves.

Jinie Brigina – Micro – France
One of the few female competitors – broken heel, mini cards to big cards, coin matrix, I love you Boris Wild-esque Kiss cards and coin matrix. Ho hum.

Intiki Terushita – Parlor – Japan
Bank teller holding up his volunteers, signed bill switching places, laundering money with mini washing machine and ending with bill in Polaroid. All very strange.

David Redondo – Spain – Micro Magic
Dealt with the theme of coins and imitations, copies of coins printed on playing cards, coin matrix, vanishing coins, coin purses and more of the same. This is FISM – you need to work to keep my attention. The audience is tired.

Wolfgang Moser – Parlor – Austria
The classic magic kettle and any drink called for ending with a never ending cascade of sugar. Fun and entertaining.

Michael Dardant – USA – Micro
Having seen Michael’s act at IBM SAM – I was not looking forward to it. But he surprisingly engaged well with the audience and his ‘in-magician’ jokes were all the funnier with Shawn Farquhar himself as on-stage volunteer. Some light hearted humour is just what the crowds had ordered it seems.

Daniel Mormina – Argentina – Micro
Matrix with thundering music, all very dramatic ending with a bowl of water production and a miniature bicycle riding along the close-up mat. Some creative ideas.

Hugo Maximilliano – Spain - Cards
Signed aces and sevens change places multiple times. With the poor camera work – hard to appreciate much of the card work 

Emil Dragan – Romania – Cards
Casino theme with poker table, color changing poker chips, jumbo die, jumbo poker chips ( what a surprise ) and appearing roulette wheel.

Luis Olmedo – Spain – Cards
Deck turns into jokers, aces to jokers, cards through table, visual eye candy, jokers back to normal deck and back to jokers ending with a rainbow deck.

Looking Magic – Spain – Parlor Invention
Canned applause on the soundtrack. Chop cup and exceptionally worrying when you don’t know what the invention is supposed to be. Ends with a color changing waist coat and shoes to match the balls.

Bill – Cards – Austria
The dream wizard – with cards returning to new deck order, cards changing to selected card, and any card called for rising from a deck.

DK – Micro Magic – Korea
Pure magicians delight. Cups and balls done behind a shadow screen with things literally disintegrating before your very eyes. Highly visual – creative and different. So refreshing to see! This is the creativity that FISM thrives on. Ends with the kicker of the ball vanishing down a real life cartoon “acme” hole !

Jacob Mathias – Parlor – Germany
Clearly a popular competitor with a Coke themed cups and balls routine with a simply stunning moment of a ball literally floating upwards. Lots of transpositions ending with a complete costume change to match the Fanta revelation.

And that’s the first of the close-up session for Monday 6th July. What an exhausting day … and for some the party is just getting started as the activities continue well into the night.

------------------------------

Close-up Day 2

Day 2 of Close-up and Obie O'Brien seems to think we are all dogs that need to be brought to heel by blowing a whistle to commence the contest. Seriously ? A whistle ? Decorum people. This is the World Championships – not your local swim contest.

On to all things magical ...

Rubiales – Card Magic – Spain
Cards and dice with the cards matching the numbers on the dice. Some beautiful vanishes and eye candy with card ending in card case – and dice changing all to 1’s.

Micky Wong – Parlor- Hong Kong
A very clever act revolving around manipulating the senses, observations, optical illusions and MC Escher ending with the startling revelation that the performer had not been wearing a shirt at all!

Mr Tango – Cards – Argentina
Out of the world, oil and water, card separations, memorised deck and full deck triumph. Audience enjoyed.

Daniel Collado – Micro Magic Invention – Spain
Metal bending with a self-restoring fork. The restoration looks incredible as every tine slowly returns to their normal state.

Hannes Freytag and Vicente Noguera – Germany - Cards
Highly entertaining duo act with card revelations here, there, on their back and in their mouth. Fun and enjoyable …

Lim Hong Jin – Korea - Micro
Cups and balls with sugar cubes and coffee cups. Multiplying cubes, linking coffee cups and ending with an appearing kettle … Quite short.

NoJima – Japan - Cards
Oil and water, visual separation and subsequent reset, over and over and over and over …

Paul Sommersgute – Austria – Micro
Dear Domenico Dante’s extended speech is proving to be the running gag at FISM Italy with the competitors taking a playful dig. A full samba dancer, cup and ball with glass, chop cup, tomato transposition and ending with the Pringles can filled again.

Antonio Romero – Parlour Magic Invention - Spain
Once again not entirely sure which is the specific invention – you can choose from shrinking rope, selected card with dart gun or a more sedate cups and balls with glasses.

Lian Jiandong – Parlour - China
Water to beer to cocktail to red wine. Appearing tray, appearing cards, iphone to bills, and a magical box with illuminated smoke that looks like it comes out of Raiders of the Lost Arc.

Horret Wu - Taiwan – Cards
Simply stunning and one of the highlights of the day. Visual transformations as cards shrink and grow in front of our eyes.

Henry Harrius - Parlour magic – Hong Kong
Another refreshingly different act with color changing torn and restored card, sympathetic matching rubiks cubes ( thankfully no psychotic performers here ) ending with a fascinating puzzle picture revelation of Steve jobs.

Jacob Schenstrom – Sweden – Micro
Strong and fresh with more eye candy ( FISM hopefuls take note … your magic needs to look like it comes out of a Hollywood blockbuster ) Cups and balls with visual reappearances underneath the glass, appearing water, solid cups, water productions and vanishing glass.

Kelvin Chow - Card Magic – Hong Kong
A freely named card morphs before our eyes. Stunning. Blank cards printed. Cut out holes appear in the entire deck, vanish again, back to blanks – and deck turning back to the napkin from which it came at the start. Full circle

Olmac – Micro Magic – France
It seems Olmac travels with his own fan club judging by the welcome he gets. Unfortunately the act is confusing and disjointed. Card manipulation with pictures of water drops on them. Black art with cards and then a flying drone that promptly smashes right into theBlack art with cards and then a flying drone that promptly smashes right into the camera. Disappointing.

Shin Lim – Canada - Cards
Shin also subscribes to the overly dramatic club which is more often than not flash over substance. The magic, however, is perfect for the gimmicky hungry magicians – smoke here, vanishing pen there, signed card from mouth, vanishing card box and obligatory rousing soundtrack that would make Wagner proud.

Woody Aragon – Spain - Cards
A born entertainer who simply blew the audience away with his usual inimitable style and in the end disqualified himself by going over time. Such a disappointment. This wasn’t a magic act … it was a lesson in entertainment. Bravo!

All in all – some incredibly strong magic this afternoon in the close-up arena. The FISM continental championships have clearly gone a long way in weeding out the substandard acts.
#170865 por El Gran Pantuni
09 Jul 2015, 02:36
No se quien sera el autor de estas cronicas que mas o menos nos dan una idea. Cosa curiosa es la diferencia completa de criterios de Borja con la de este reportero anonimo. Los españoles salvo contadas excepciones no salen bien parados en estas cronicas. A mas de uno los pone finos filipinos, incluyendo a algunos de nuestros ilustres. Me alegra sin embargo los comentarios sobradamente merecidos que les hacen a Woody.

Ademas de amigo soy un fan completo de el y admiro su manera de entener el entretenimiento y la magia. Estaria bonito que se llevara un FISM pero con la luz roja sera complicado. En fin que sepa que tiene toda nuestra admiracion y cariño.